Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Points and a 2nd Boss

I've recently completed my second level boss. I find it to be sufficiently difficult. It shoots two large bullets at diagonals in a similar fashion to the sprayer class minions that constitute half of the level. He also dives quite low on the screen at times similar to the striker minions on the level. I think its a fitting boss fight.

Also, I added a point system. Its pretty straight forward: the player gains 100 points for killing an enemy minion, they lose 20 points for taking a hit, and get 1000 points for defeating a boss. In addition, the player loses 10 points every 1.5 seconds, resulting in a higher score the faster you complete the level. It works out pretty good, but also allows for some differentiation between player scores on a future leaderboard.

In addition, I altered the way minion spawning works. Previously, it simply assigned a path to the minions based on how many were in the wave, which got to be a little bit to predictable for my liking. While I want the minions to be a little bit predictable (so that the more you play, the easier it is to defeat them), I also don't want the game to go stale after only a few plays. So, now the game "shuffles" the paths before assigning them to a minion. When the max number of minions is spawned, the player will see no difference, but when only say two or three minions are spawned, they will randomly be assigned one of the available paths. This will cause the minion path combinations to be different from time to time, which is exactly what I'm looking for.

No comments:

Post a Comment