Monday, August 19, 2013

Gem Collecting and Game Services

I've recently updated a little bit of my platforming game. It is entirely cosmetic but I've made it so when the player collects a gem, the gem shoots up into the top left corner where their score is. It isn't that big of a change, but I think I pulled it off pretty well and it definitely looks cool, especial when you collect a couple gems right in a row. I don't think any players will need the confirmation that they did, in fact, collect the particular gem, but I suppose that is an added benefit of having the gem in question slide up to their score text.

I've also been playing around with some of the new Google Play Game Services on the scrolling shooter. I've added a leaderboard and achievement for each level and a Google+ login button on the main screen. Things seem to be going pretty well. I also made it so you now start only with the first level and to unlock each level, you have to first beat the previous level. I might try to get some cloud saving going on since its a part of the Google Plus Game Services package, but the documentation isn't all that great so I might have to scrap it. Conceptually though it would be pretty cool to be able to beat a level on your phone and have it unlocked on say a tablet as well. I'm also going to look into some in-app purchases stuff. All my previous projects have just had a lite version and a full version but I want to start just releasing a single version with limited access and then you can make an in-app purchase to remove ads and unlock all content. So I'm going to be checking that out really soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment