Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Refactoring and Multiplayer Possibilities

Been working on my puzzle game lately. Changed up the story page a bit and it is working real well. I took out the previous/next buttons the player was supposed to use to navigate the map, and now your player sprite slides to the level you click on, following the path on the screen. It's working really well. I also did a major refactor on some of the main game activity to incorporate some swipe detection. There is some stuff where I had it set up to just rotate 90 degrees on every click, but I found that it wasn't super intuitive for players, so now if you swipe in a direction things will get rotated in that direction. I also left in the clicking to rotate it 90 degrees though so I personally don't have to relearn the controls. You have both options and the player can go with what they prefer.

I've also been reconsidering working on my zombie maze game. I had some issues with it before that made me put it on the back burner, but now I have a few more ideas of how to go about things. In addition, Google just recently came out with a real time multiplayer API where they do a lot of the heavy lifting for you. They do some quick matching and connection stuff and apparently you just have to format the info you are going to send. It occurs to me that the maze game would be a great candidate for having a 2 player cooperative mode. I might play around with some of the multiplayer stuff a little but I don't think I'll be focusing on it any time soon. I got this puzzle game nearing 100% completion and my scrolling shooter is almost finished too, so now is not the best time to be jumping on to a new big project, but the possibilities this multiplayer API presents are too good not to at least look into.

No comments:

Post a Comment