Thursday, June 27, 2013

Zeemote Shooter

I've all (I think) of the commenting done on the puzzle game and now I'm trying to get a hold of a friend to possibly do some sound effects for it. Other than that, I've been working on the scrolling shooter a little bit. Mostly minor tweaks not worth mentioning, but also one big addition: Zeemote Support. Several months ago I bought a Zeemote JS1 Controller for the express purpose of adding support for it in my scrolling shooter. I was working on so many more important gameplay issues that I never got around to it, but I recently remembered my initial plan and started looking into it. Thankfully, the Zeemote is actually really easy to get started integrating and it didn't take an crazy amount of time to get it going.

I've added an option on the settings page to enable support of Zeemote bluetooth controllers. It required a little bit of refactoring, but its all set up. You use the joystick to move obviously, and either of the 2 front buttons to shoot. You can hold down the fire button to have it shoot continuously like it does in the normal touch mode, or you can actually wait and time your shots. In that respect, the Zeemote actually gives you an advantage, but, for me at least, the joystick also makes it harder to dodge bullets, although it is quite fun. You can't rapidly tap the fire button to shoot faster than normal though. You'll still have the same "attack speed" as a player not using the Zeemote. This just gives you a lot more control over when the bullet actually fires. I think its a fair trade off. I'm really happy with how its working out and I think its a great option to have in the game.

Zeemote JS1 ControllerJS1 Quick Start Application

No comments:

Post a Comment