Sunday, March 11, 2012

Zombie Movements

I've been working on getting my zombies to navigate around the maze without getting stuck. It still isn't organized extremely well (I plan on cleaning it up a bit later) but it is working decently. I hope to make the zombies even 'smarter' but right now they are good enough that you can't stop moving or they will get to you. They don't pile up in corners and will sometimes take different routes if there are a bunch of them piling up in one area. Sometimes they act a little dumb, but they are still good enough that you have to keep moving to avoid them, and that's the main thing I'm going for.

I had some trouble getting the zombies to move properly. They were getting stuck on each other sometimes and then the two zombies that collided would fail to start moving again. Now that they are successfully moving around the maze without stopping or getting hung up, I can start working on some of the other functionality. I'll most likely come back to the zombie movements and get that working better, but even if I didn't do any more work on it, it will work just fine for the game. Now I can start working on projectile stuff, special zombie types, and more mazes. Also HUD stuff like life gauge, ammo, kill count, etc. In my opinion, the hardest part of this project is likely giving the zombies a way to move around without getting stuck, and since that is completed in a working (though not well refined) manner, the rest of the project should be pretty straight forward. That's not to say that the rest of the project will be easy, but that it isn't going to be as hard as some of the zombie movement AI stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment