Friday, July 6, 2012

Summer Games and Bounded Chase Cameras

Today I started working on another minigame type pack. Tia and I decided to work on a track and field/summer games type setup to celebrate the upcoming 2012 Olympic Games in London. Today I was working on a Hurdles game, but a lot of the stuff will form the basis for some of the other minigames included in the pack. So far we are thinking of adding the Long Jump, Freestyle Swimming, a Javelin Toss, and possibly the Triple Jump. I'd like to add a few other games that aren't centered so much around track and field or swimming, but we'll see how we are looking for time once the other games are done. The Olympics start the 27th we'll have to get things all set at least a couple days before then. If we have 4 or 5 working games at that point then we can either decide from there whether to add a couple more minigames or focus on some of our other on going projects. Either way, I'm excited to work on another minigame project that lets me dive in to some more AndEngine feature that I haven't yet taken a look at.

In this project I've been using a bounded chase camera to follow the player's sprite as they run down the track, for example. It allows me to have a track that is longer than the screen itself but still move the player sprite and not the background behind it. Everything I've read points to this being the best way to go about making a side scrolling shooter or platformer, so I'm happy that I'm learning more about it because I've got ideas for both of those genres. That's a while down the road though. At this point I just need to focus on finishing up and polishing the games I'm already working on.

No comments:

Post a Comment