Saturday, April 14, 2012

Inline Documentation and a New IDE

It hasn't been an exciting couple of days for my development projects. I decided that I've been working on so many different projects recently that it was probably a good idea to take a step back and actually get them documented. I commented all the activities involved in Color Coder. Previously it was just the main game activity that was commented. Then I started in on a couple other activities from other games I'm working on. I've still got a lot to go. I think it is a smart idea to comment all this stuff now while I remember it, just in case I come back to it later for upgrades or additions I'll be able to tell what I was doing when I first wrote it.

In addition to the commenting, I decided it would probably be good to upgrade my Eclipse IDE. I was using Galileo before, but after today I'm using Indigo, which is presumably better. I don't see that much of a difference though. The layout is pretty much the same but LogCat is a little bit different looking. I've also seen a couple changes to some of the drop down menus, but overall it seems to work out the same. Still it seems like it'll probably be worth it. I did run in to some issues though. I used the same workspace that I was previously using, which I guess can cause some problems. Long story short, it broke several of my projects. Luckily I remembered to back my projects up right before I set up the new IDE and fixing them was just a simple matter of replacing them with the backups. Of course Scoreloop gave me a bunch of issues and that took me a while to get figured, but it all ended up working out all right.

Now I'll probably be back to commenting for the next couple days. Its a little tedious and boring but having good inline documentation is always a good idea. Can't say I'm looking forward to it though. I have three more projects I need to get commented, so this could take a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment